[tex-live] tl17 pretest init

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Apr 19 13:32:45 CEST 2017

Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 07:39:22AM +0100, Philip Taylor wrote:
>> New bug reports :
>>
>> 1) Using "install-tl-advanced.bat", and click-and-drag in (e.g.,) the TEXDIR dialogue box does not clear the inverse-video "selected" indication when a character is typed
> You complain about this dialog every year, and it is not something
> we can fix.
I accept that, yet find it very odd; it is the */only/* application (of hundreds, if not thousands, installed on my machines) that fails to respect the host O/S standards for the user interface.  Surely I am not the only user who routinely re-locates the various TeXMF trees from their default locations with every new release of TeX Live.  I may be the only person to report the problem, but I am certain that I am not the only one to be inconvenienced by it.

>> 2) The "Cancel" button of that dialogue box is  at best unreliable and at worst completely useless.
> I cannot reproduce this.
It happened to me twice today; on the first occasion it finally dismissed the box after eight or nine clicks; on the second, not even 20 would suffice, so I had to resort to the [X] button.

>> 3) The installer informed me that C:\TeX\Live\2017 was unwriteable until I created it by hand (the installer had been invoked using "Run as administrator".
> This is one level deeper than the installer is willing to create.
Is there any reason for that restriction ?  A 3-level hierarchy such as C:\TeX\Live\2017 seems very logical to me, and allows the parallel trees C:\TeX\Live\2016 and C:\TeX\Projects.  Without the necessary-and-sufficient three levels, my C:\TeX\Live\TeXMF\Local tree would be forced one level higher, to C:\TeX, whereas it in fact a part of TeX Live rather than TeX /qua/ TeX.

Philip Taylor also wrote:

>>     PERL5LIB=E:\TeX\Live\2017\tlpretest\tlpkg\tlperl\lib
>> yet SET does not disclose this variable :
> It is created by the batchfile wrapper. We shall exclude it from the
> environment test.
But why is it set to E: when I am installing on C: ?

Philip Taylor