[tex-live] Asymptote on TL2016 - problem

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 20 13:49:37 CEST 2016

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 09:02:10AM +0200, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
> Do you use TeX Live from TUG or the Debian packages? As I understand, TeX
> Live from TUG does not install packages distributed by your Linux distro
> and it canot in principle have dependencies because the maintainers do not
> know whther you need rpm or deb or whatever. On the contrary, the Debian
> packages will probably have the correct dependencies. Fedora installs
> freeglut as default and asy just works.
>

> Zdeněk Wagner

I'm not the person with the missing freeglut, that was Paulo.  For
me, asymptote is now working - with the additional switch I
mentioned.

FWIW, I installed both source and binary on BLFS-7.9 (gcc-5.3.0)
without issues.   But when I built BLFS-7.10 (gcc-6) I had to add
the -V switch to the invocations of asy for 3D diagrams.

The gcc-6 comment was because of a different issue with the 2016
binary on a gcc-6 system.  I logged it at
https://github.com/vectorgraphics/asymptote/issues/23 in the hope
that google would find the workaround.  John Bowman commented on
my bug report that it is now fixed in TL2016 and git.

ĸen
for them.'     -- Small Gods