[tex-live] urw35 base fonts on CTAN and TL

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Sun Sep 18 03:04:41 CEST 2016

Our "font commission" encountered the following:
on CTAN (and consequently on TeXLive 2016) we have URW base35 fonts
from 2003!:
https://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/urw/base35

In the meantime those fonts were corrected many times (the version from 2003
had many bugs and "badnesses" :-) )

E.g. on January 2015 there was much better release, and from July 2016 it
seems that fonts are finally proper. Moreover the whole stuff contains also
fonts in the opentype format.

The whole history of changes can be found on:
http://git.ghostscript.com/?p=urw-core35-fonts.git;a=summary

The most recent release:
http://git.ghostscript.com/?p=urw-core35-fonts.git;a=snapshot;h=79bcdfb34fbc
e12b592cce389fa7a19da6b5b018;sf=tgz

The license on CTAN and for GhostScript are exactly the same -- GPL,
so we have full accordance for including the corrected fonts also in TeXLive,
after the whole work of renaming the fonts to the TeX convenions, as it
was done before, and refreshing the new stuff on CTAN.

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
staw at gust.org.pl