[tex-live] texinfo not happy with texlive not producing log?

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sat Nov 5 05:20:52 CET 2016

Hi Liviu,

(moving this discussion to the TeX Live list as it has nothing
to do with texinfo anymore)

> no, I don't *need* to recompile the binaries, but past experience with many other packages showed that some tools are not very happy when moved to a different folder then the one they were compiled for, so, mainly for safety reasons, I generally prefer to build everything from sources, with the actual `--prefix` set correctly during `configure`.

TeX Live binaries are all fully relocatable, otherwise we could not
offer the freeness to install whereever you want. Relocatability
is one requirement to enter TeX Live binaries set.

> my current solution for the extra tools required by my macOS builds is a custom instance of Homebrew, installed in $HOME/opt/homebrew; since this is a custom location, Homebrew automatically builds everything from sources; unfortunately TeX is on the Homebrew blacklist, and the only solution is to use a Homebrew Cask, which is a workaround that installs MacTex as root, in the standard location, and adds it to the PATH.

I don't know why it is on the Homebrew blacklist, as everything *can*
be done. People only need to ask for help, *after* having tried and
read the install documentation.

> so any suggestions on how to do this will be welcomed.

As I said, the easiest way is:
* compile the binaries yourself if you want,
* but them into Master/bin/<YOUR_ARCH>
* run the normal installer

Alternatively you can hook copy all the files you need yourself, and
just make sure to generate the correct config files (fmtutil.cnf,
updmap.cfg, language.dat, .def, .dat.lua) and all will run.

Norbert

--
PREINING Norbert + TeX Live & Debian Developer + http://www.preining.info
GPG: 0x860CDC13    fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0  ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13