[tex-live] Can Noto fonts be made to work with fontspec ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Mar 22 05:31:09 CET 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 01:15:16AM +0100, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
> Spaces are used in the names of a lot of fonts and they do work with
> fontspec. For instance, all TeX Gyre fonts contain spaces in their names.
>
> Zdeněk Wagner
> http://ttsm.icpf.cas.cz/team/wagner.shtml
> http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz

Ah, right you are.  I was taking the name from what I could see in
libreoffice writer, I think that name started NotoSans but in fc-list
I can see (all on one line)
/usr/share/fonts/Noto/NotoSansCJKjp-Regular.otf: Noto Sans CJK JP,Noto Sans CJK JP Regular:style=Regular

And with \newfontfamily{\japanese}{Noto Sans CJK JP} it does indeed
work.  So, I guess that was a variation of "I can't find this font."

Thanks

> > I've recently installed the whole set of Noto fonts to one machine,
> > so I thought I would take another look at trying to use them with
> > lualatex and xelatex.
> >
> > If, for english text, I try to force 'NotoSans' it appears to work.
> > But my test harness is really set up to check for font filenames in
> > the output from fc-cache.  If I try to specify NotoSans-Regular.ttf
> > then fontspec blows up :
> >

> > (/opt/texlive/2015/texmf-dist/tex/latex/fontspec/fontspec.cfg)))kpathsea:make_tex:
> > Invalid fontname `[NotoSans-Regular.ttf]/OT', contains '['

[...]