[tex-live] texconfig bug

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Mar 17 22:56:45 CET 2016

    Shouldn't the program instead save and restore the terminal settings?

In theory, sure.  But is there any portable way to do that?  I'm not
aware of one.  I am highly skeptical that stty -g works everywhere.  And
no, I don't want to spend time writing code to use stty -g if it's
available, not if it's not, etc.  Patches welcome :).

Otherwise, the solution, as Norbert implies, is not to use texconfig.

    I haven't tried to look into where and why 'termCtl reset' is used, so
    maybe there's a good reason for the current behavior.

I'm sure it was just a matter of restoring sanity to the terminal after
doing screen-oriented stuff, ca.1990.  If you (or your user) want to try
deleting it and see if anything untoward happens these days, I guess I'd
consider removing it.  -k