[tex-live] stripped binaries? (cygwin 64)

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 18:36:42 CET 2016

I wrote

> Both seem to work but I notice that luatex.exe is 4 times larger if
> built from the texlive tree

Sorry for the noise, this was mostly a case of user (me) error.

Thanks to Ken Brown for pointing me in the right direction.

After a full build, stripped and non stripped binaries are available

$ find . -name luatex.exe -exec ls -l \{\} \;
-rwxr-xr-x 1 davidc Domain Users 9423872 Mar 14 16:17
./inst/bin/x86_64-unknown-cygwin/luatex.exe
-rwxr-xr-x 1 davidc Domain Users 41666668 Mar 14 15:15
./Work/texk/web2c/luatex.exe

But actually I didn't tell the whole truth in the initial mail.

I ran the top level Build script but then to track luatex updates I
was using rsync and then just typing make in

/source/Work/texk/web2c

Thinking I was picking up the existing configure settings.

However, this _only_ makes the unstripped binaries (in that directory)

make install strip

or similar is required to do the final stripping.

This is more or less documented in

https://www.tug.org/texlive/build.html

but I missed the significance of the text there.

David