[tex-live] Directory structure for package including files

Urs Liska ul at openlilylib.org
Mon Jun 27 01:06:44 CEST 2016

Hi all,

I'm mentoring a GSoC student who will as part of his project produce a
LaTeX package and upload it to CTAN. (As some background that is not
directly relevant to the question: This package will take sets of LaTeX
commands generated from annotations in LilyPond music scores and typeset
a critical report from them.)

The package will provide extensive configuration options for the visual
appearance of the output, mainly implemented through \setkeys. As the
definition of the *default* appearance will use a significant number of
code lines the student suggested to move that to a separate file, e.g.
`default-stylesheet.inp` (which I find good as it's also a good example
file for end-users).

The question is: Should we take any precautions regarding the directory
structure when it comes to uploading the package to CTAN? Of course in
the context of a CTAN package it's probably the most straightforward to
just put it in the same folder as the .sty file. But is that also a good
approach when we expect the package to be incorporated in distributions
like tex-live?

Best
Urs