[tex-live] General test suite for TeX-Live

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Jun 19 10:17:16 CEST 2016

> It is certainly impossible to create a complete test suite that would
> catch any problem one could run into.
>
> But that doesn't mean (and shouldn't be an excuse) that a group of
> volunteers couldn't come up with a "small" test suite to cover at

For me the "one big test file" was anyway never of interest.

Of course we cannot check all code path in a sty file in an automated
way - this must be left for the author.

What I want is
* automated testing of simple load functionality
* provide infrastructure (via l3build and maybe some extra infos)
  for package authros to provide more complete tests that can
  be part of an automated testing environment for TL

> I would imagine that such a test suite should be able to raise an
> alarm during the latest magyar.ldf update (even though I still argue

Yes, typical case which a simple load test would exhibit.

Same with many other case. Eg the recent shellesc which should have
been loadable by plain tex, but wasn't. These things are
testable in an automated way. We only need to start providing
a easy to use infra and start writing a few tests.

Norbert

--
PREINING Norbert + TeX Live & Debian Developer + http://www.preining.info
GPG: 0x860CDC13    fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0  ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13