[tex-live] Letter template

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 10:09:18 CEST 2016

Hi,

this question has nothing to do with TeX Live maintenance so this should be
posted somewhere else.

Anyway, I am afraid that a good general answer does not exist. Although
various internationalization projects exist so that you can prepare a
general template containing macros as \from, \to, \cc etc., the universe is
not that grey. First, there are different conventions in different
countries one of them being the position of the signature. Generally it can
be said that for A4 or letter size paper the font size should be 11pt or
12pt, margins should be around 1in (the old Czech standard required 25mm
which is almost the same dimension). Setting of \parindent and \parskip is
also a matter of convention. What is the most important is "corporate
identity". I was asked to prepare letter templates for several companies.
The layout was designed by a graphuical design studio. The people from the
studio do not know LaTeX and the companies requested LaTeX so I have
implemented it for them. In short, if you wish a professional design, ask a
graphical designer. If you think that you can do it yourself. look at
letters that you receive from others and try to do it in a similar way.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz