[tex-live] (u)p(La)TeX dependency tree

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Tue Jun 7 23:51:59 CEST 2016

Hello all,

Updating some automated tests from TL'15 to TL'16, I find that there are
some oddities with (u)pTeX/(u)pLaTeX. In particular, with TL'15 a
minimised system with

    tlmgr install babel babel-english latex latex-bin \
      latex-fonts latexconfig xetex
    tlmgr install --no-depends ptex uptex

would allow basic testing with (u)pTeX including with (u)pLaTeX. To
achieve the same in TL'16 I need

    tlmgr install babel babel-english latex latex-bin \
      latex-fonts latexconfig xetex
    tlmgr install --no-depends ptex uptex ptex-base \
      uptex-base ptex-fonts uptex-fonts platex uplatex

What's odd in particular is:

- You need the two 'fonts' packages to get the formats to be listed
  in fmtutil.cnf
- The (u)platex packages don't depend on the (u)ptex ones

(I use the --no-depends here as the aim is to have a truly minimal
system which has just enough to work: it's automatically reinstalled for
every run, so there is a need to avoid any unused material.)

Joseph