[tex-live] fc-cache documentation ?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Aug 30 21:59:33 CEST 2016

On 2016-08-29 at 05:48:11 +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

 > > It would be nice to determine first whether the cache has to be
 > > updated at all.  Comparing directory listings is an inexpensive
 > > operation.  XeTeX could use fontconfig (fonts.conf) in order to
 > > obtain a list of directories containing fonts and in LuaTeX,
 > > luaotfload maintains a list of font directories by itself.
 >
 > Actually, this operation should be done by fontconfig itself...

I doubt that fontconfig developers are willing to do this.  Whenever
you run apt-get install, yum install, etc. in order to install
a new font, all these installers run fc-cache automatically.

You only have to invoke fc-cache manually after installing a font
manually.  IMO this should be sufficient.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de