[tex-live] fc-cache documentation ?

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Tue Aug 30 21:52:26 CEST 2016

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 11:04:06AM +0200, Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 02:20:48PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> > Hi Siep,
> >
> > > For a single-user install everything should happen automatically, so
> > > no need for any provisions in tlmgr.
> >
> > I don't understand. *What* should happen?
> >
> > During install/update of xetex the fc-cache is run already.
> >
> > Do you mean when new *fonts* are installed, then we should run
> > fc-cache?
>
> A xetex run should trigger fc-cache when needed. The original
> problems of Phil Taylor were caused by misconfiguration.
>
> This works right only if the user has write access to the cache
> directory.
>
> Later today I'll install a new font in windows and try to use it
> with xetex and see whether it really works as advertised.

On the bright side: only the cache file for Windows is regenerated.

On the dark side: the fc-cache runi, if triggered by xetex,
apparently can not or will not overwrite the original file
d031bbba323fd9e5b47e0ee5a0353f11-x86.cache-7 but instead created a
file d031bbba323fd9e5b47e0ee5a0353f11-x86.cache-7.NEW

Removing the old one and renaming the new one restores normality.

Whether the new font is actually used makes no difference.

--
Siep Kroonenberg