[tex-live] fc-cache documentation ?

Akira Kakuto kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp
Sun Aug 28 08:26:18 CEST 2016

> On Windows, does TeXLive install fontconfig as a background program
> that is capable of monitoring the system font directories?  [Note
> that it is not necessary to handle fonts within TeXLive, AFAIK,
> since XeTeX and friends can use the texlsr data base.]

In TeX Live for windows, fontconfig is used only by
XeTeX, in which the fontconfig is linked as a simple
static library. So fc-cache should be invoked manually.
If fonts are used by "file names", Kpathsea is used
instead of fontconfig in all platforms.

I sent Reinhard, who maintains documents in
doc/supports/wintools, manuals on fontconfig tools.
I hope he will add them if he agrees they are ok.

Best,
Akira