[tex-live] fc-cache documentation ?

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Aug 28 08:08:28 CEST 2016

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> So this boils down to the following question:
>
>   Is fontconfig automatically run Windows if a font changes (in one of
>   the directories observed by fontconfig)?
Clearly /I/ don't know, but it is an important question; based purely on empirical evidence, I suspect not.
> Or to formulate it differently:
>
>   On Windows, does TeXLive install fontconfig as a background program
>   that is capable of monitoring the system font directories?  [Note
>   that it is not necessary to handle fonts within TeXLive, AFAIK,
>   since XeTeX and friends can use the texlsr data base.]
Can it/they ?  Is it not the case that whereas a file has but one name, and can therefore easily be found using the texlsr database, a font can have many names, many/most of which cannot be derived from its file name, and therefore one needs a more sophisticated database for fonts -- in other words, this is perhaps why fontconfig is required in the first place.
> In case the answer is yes, the next question would be
>
>   On Windows, does the TeXLive installer provides an interface to
>   configure the directories observed by fontconfig?
I cannot find one, but I did discover an XML file called (I think) "fonts.conf", and when I looked inside I saw that (of course) it reflected the original installation partition (E:) rather than the SSD partition (C:) to which I had copied TeX Live in an effort to speed things up before I discovered that a call to fc-cache was actually what was needed ...  So here, too, an interface from TLMGR to fontconfig would be very useful, so that one does not have to hand-edit XML files.
--

Philip Taylor