[tex-live] fc-cache documentation ?

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sat Aug 27 10:13:45 CEST 2016

I discovered, after considerable trial and error, that running :

    fc-cache -v C:/Windows/Fonts

before attempting any XeTeX compilation caused a multi-second improvement in performance (without the preliminary fc-cache command, loading the first font took upwards of 10 seconds, even with an SSD as C:).  But TeXdoc fc-cache tells me it does not have anything relevant.

Where is fc-cache documented, please, and how is the "normal" user to learn (a) of its existence, and (b) of its potential importance.
--

Philip Taylor