[tex-live] dvips does not create conforming postscript file

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Aug 9 23:19:32 CEST 2016

On 2016-08-09 at 22:01:42 +0200, Vincent Torri wrote:

 > Hello
 >
 > I have used dvips from TeX Live 2016 on the attached DVI file. I get
 > in the (attached) postscript file:
 >
 > %!PS-Adobe-2.0
 > [snip]
 > %%PageOrder: Ascend
 >
 > But PageOrder is a comment introduced in Postscript DSC 3.0 and is not
 > present in 2.0
 >
 > Is it a bug in dvips ?

Seems so.  Is PageOrder the only DSC introduced in Version 3.0 which
dvips can insert?  And which values are supported?

If no other values than Ascend are supported, it's certainly better to
drop the DSC rather than to change the shebang line.  All programs
assume an ascending order by default.

I assume that TeX always creates pages in ascending order.  Hyperref
supports semitic languages too, where right pages have even numbers
and left pages have odd numbers.  But it assumes that pages in the pdf
file are in ascending order and just tells PDF viewers and printers
how to position facing pages.

IMO the DSC is superfluous and can be removed.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de