[tex-live] gpg with tlmgr with tl 2016 pretest, etc, on a Mac

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at me.com
Fri Apr 29 18:08:52 CEST 2016

> On Apr 29, 2016, at 01:27 , Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  Thus many years ago I manually created (as root) /usr/local/texlive and changed ownership of this directory to me. Can MacTeX bi installed by an ordinary user if this additional step is done manually using sudo?

I don't think anyone has answered specifically: NO.
Apple's installer will reset the ownership of the tree to root,
which is the default for /usr/local. You can use chown -R to
change it _after_ install, and I do this on one of my systems
to ensure that TeX Live Utility keeps working with unprivileged
users.

The worst problems I've seen are from users who set an overly
restrictive umask because they took advice from some random
dude on the internet. Explaining how this is a problem just
leads to "MUH PERMISSIONS" and "MUH SECURITY."

By and large, Mac users are morons about UNIX, and should not
take (or be given) advice from UNIX users, especially with
respect to permissions and environment variables. In my opinion,
of course, as a long-time Mac user.

-- adam