[tex-live] getnonfreefonts

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Apr 14 02:51:17 CEST 2016

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 06:48:31PM +0000, Lars Madsen wrote:
> But isn't the question just why there aren't more fonts supported by getnonfreefonts?
>
> It is clear that the tool it self cannot be included in TL as per policy.
>
> But what keeps the script from supporting more available non-free fonts?
>
> /daleif

Indeed.  As a linux user who has had to, again, find time to look at
ttf and otf fonts in general (thanks, kde, for recommending Noto), it
appears to me that *most* online sources of fonts give *zero*
information about licensing.  Perhaps users of non-free OS's do not
care about licensing.

There are a few reputable fonts sites which list fonts along with
their licenses.  And from those I can see many fonts.  From the
sites which ignore licenses there are hundreds, probably thousands,
of ttf and otf fonts.

So if you want to have everything available, why not just, outside
of texlive, download all of them ?  Of course, having *too_many*
fonts makes document creation outside of texlive with a particular
font awkward - but that is O/T for a texlive list.

But perhaps I am misunderstanding - for modern text I prefer to use
xelatex with fontspec (I care about being able to render *all*
current languages/scripts which I might find online) so I only really
care about ttf and otf files - the original question was perhaps
aimed at other font types and other engines ?

ĸen