[tex-live] getnonfreefonts

Paulo Ney de Souza pauloney at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 21:34:55 CEST 2016

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> There are about 50 fonts in CTAN which are in TDS and are not part of
>> TeXLive. If is zip, tar, rpm ... it is not really different, the important
>> part if that TDS organization is ready.
>>

> If it is in TDS, just put it to your $TEXM-LOCAL and run updmap(-sys)

I can show you a ton of fonts for which that will NOT work! And that you
have to disable some Map's and enable others in oredr to make it work.

>>   A- Include them on TeXLive
>>

> Ask the font authors to release them under a free license and it will
> happen.

Is GPL good enough? What license are acceptable and which ones are not?

"Antiqua" for example is on CTAN, available under GPL but not on TeXLive.

>   B- Make their download and installation automatic via a script.
>>

> Nobody can guarantee that all fonts on CTAN have exactly the same
> structure so that one script could fit for all.

With the additional information on how they are packaged it should be
enough. A few subroutines to deal with each class... and the info laid out
in a flat DB should be all that is required.

> It can be automatic if all fonts are packaged exactly the same way. If you
> do not force all font authors to pack the distribution in an exactly the
> same way, the script will sooner or later crash.

getnonfreefonts is the counter-example of what you saying above. It install
10 different fonts which are packaged in different ways, and it does it
beautifully.

Paulo Ney