[tex-live] Profile-based install: scheme plus selected extras?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Sep 27 00:25:26 CEST 2015

    OK, bonus question: is there a way to do a smaller scheme than
    'minimal'?

It seems to me it should not be hard to allow "package" in profiles
(I would not want to deal with package-level stuff in the UI, but just
in profiles would be simpler).

Then you could build up what you want from zero, i.e., not specifying
any scheme or any collection (scheme-minimal = collection-basic, and
there is no smaller collection either), just packages.  I've wanted that
myself for testing sometimes.  But I'm afraid I have no ETA for even
beginning to look at implementing such a feature.

By the way, another thought I had was that perhaps in some cases, your
test setup could use an existing installation instead of creating it
from scratch.  That is, make the minimal thing if it doesn't exist, but
if it does exist, just update it.  Or maybe you're already doing that,
or it doesn't make sense for what you're doing.  Just a stray thought...k