[tex-live] ways to change between texlive 2014 and 2015 pretest

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Wed May 20 11:04:01 CEST 2015

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 09:11:16AM +0200, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Tue, 19 May 2015 15:42:32 -0300 schrieb George N. White III:
>
> > At my workplace, once something is in the system path nothing short of a
> > direct request from the Queen can get it changed.
>
> Then change the user PATH variable. Or change the PATH variable

By default, the effective searchpath consists of the system path
with the user path appended. A TeX on the system path will be found
before a TeX in the user path. So, without admin permissions it may
not be possible to fix the global searchpath.

But the programs in the TL menu are called via wrappers which
prepend the corresponding version of TL to the searchpath.  The
command prompt in the TL menu also has the TL binary path prepended.
So you are ok as long as you run TL via the menu entries. And
different editions of TL each have their own menu.

Plus, as Ulrike writes, you may be able to fix things from within
your editor.

--
Siep Kroonenberg