[tex-live] Add include and lib directories to TeX live?

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Wed May 13 10:39:11 CEST 2015

On Tue, 12 May 2015, Karl Berry wrote:

> Indeed, it is more than that.  What I would suggest, for right now, is
> linking to the manual that Peter (mainly) wrote about building TeX Live
> -- http://tug.org/texlive/doc/tlbuild.html.
>
> We don't have an exact recipe in there for building just kpathsea as a
> shared library, but we could add it.  That's what a user of native TL
> will have to do, as things stand.  (There's an example for building a
> single program at
> http://tug.org/texlive/doc/tlbuild.html#Build-one-package; building the
> one library would be similar, though of course devil+details ...)

Hi David,

at the moment there is no way to build the Kpathsea library and nothing
else, libraries are only built as required by program packages.  But one
could build just one program that uses kpathsea (preferably a small one,
e.g., gsftopk).  One could then run 'make DESTDIR=<somewhere> install' in
the texk/kpathsea/ subdirectory (or at the top level and discard the
program).

It is important to specify the correct value for --prefix.  As of TL15 there
is the system dependent $libdir/kpathsea/c-auto.h in addition to the system
independent $includedir/kpathsea/*.h and $libdir/pkgconfig/kpathsea.pc
should be used to obtain the flags for using the library so this file must
contain the correct paths.

This required knowledge of the ultimate install paths is one reason why it
is not feasible to have the libraries as part of a generic TL distribution.

Regards
Peter