[tex-live] \string in xetex

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed May 6 00:40:08 CEST 2015

    code points marked as ideographs in LineBreak.txt are set as catcode 11
    in LuaTeX, based on the pattern set by unicode-letters.tex and the Perl
    script which is used to generate this file.

    Most probably this area needs revision, at least to bring category codes
    into line between LuaTeX and XeTeX.

Joseph, has there been any outcome on this wrt luatex?

I just changed the plain xetex.ini to load (a copy of) latex's new
unicode-letters.def instead of unicode-letters.tex, since no substantive
differences were evident (as you intended :).  I left the rest of
xetex.ini untouched -- some of it is duplicated elsewhere in latex, but
I doubt it's worth factoring that out.

That just leaves plain luatex using [luatex-]unicode-letters.tex, as far
as I know.  I'd like to either unify that or update it for current
Unicode, and soon.

Thanks,