[tex-live] Pathological search path for TeXMF.cnf

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Mar 16 23:28:58 CET 2015

Zdenek Wagner wrote:

> It is irrelevant whether you have errors in the log or not. During the
> last year I had two problems:
>
> 1. Failing disk controller
>
> 2. Failing power supply (at leas one of the voltages and the power loss
> was not permanent)
>
> There was no error record at all. HD was just in a kind of wait state
> which is not considered an error, it just makes everything terribly
> slow. Sometimes the disc stopped rotating for a while ad then started to
> work again but it was not recorded as an error. Not all kinds of error
> states are reported.

Noted with thanks.  However I am delighted to report that the cloned TeX
Live 2014 system is now seemingly as fast on what was the slow system as
on the fast, so for now the problem is (re)solved.  I shall, of course,
report back if things change ...

** Phil.