[tex-live] Can't we get the Belleek (free MathTime) fonts to be distributeable?

Michael Shell list1 at michaelshell.org
Tue Jun 30 11:54:10 CEST 2015

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 20:39:47 -0300
"George N. White III" <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:

> Weren't the STIX fonts supposed to solve problems of freely available
> Times-like fonts?  They are included in recent OS X versions, but I
> haven't noticed them being used in documents.

You know, this actually was/is my position, and the approach I wanted to
go with as well. For an unknown reason, STIX was not an acceptable option.
If I ever find out why, I will let you know. Perhaps it has to do with
publisher back end processing capability. I've also read somewhere
that there are still some unsolved metric problems in the STIX fonts.

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 17:05:32 GMT
Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

> I am confident enough that metrics are not, in and of themselves,
> copyrightable, but I suspect others do not feel the same.

Me too - and I'd go further than that. I wouldn't allow half the
patents out there to be approved. And software copyright? Why,
I'd have those expire in a few years like with patents.

Anyway, I took Uwe's advice and installed the most recent newtxmath
to try out thinking maybe that could be the answer after all. I
installed it on an older (2011) TeXLive system. (It's good to check
what happens when an older system is used with it.)

My minimal test file here compiles error free:

\documentclass{article}

% select one
\usepackage{newtxmath}
%\usepackage{mathptmx}

\begin{document}

\section{Math Test}

Uppercase Greek plain:
\begin{equation}
\Gamma = 2\Pi = 3\Phi = 4\Omega
\end{equation}

\noindent Uppercase Greek with mathnormal:
\begin{equation}
\mathnormal{\Gamma} = 2\mathnormal{\Pi} = 3\mathnormal{\Phi} = 4\mathnormal{\Omega}
\end{equation}

\end{document}

Under mathptmx, the result is as expected. However, under newtxmath
(version 1.437 2015-05-01) \mathnormal does not produce slanted
uppercase Greek letters - they remain upright. If I invoke
newtexmath's slantedGreek option, all the uppercase Greek letters
are slanted.

Can anyone try my example and tell me if it is also that way on
their system as well? There may be another/better way to control
math Greek italics, but even if so, my concern here is with the
existing author math code base out there when \mathnormal does
not work as expected.

  Cheers and thank you in advance,

  Mike Shell