[tex-live] \"\i causes problems with texlive 2015

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Jun 14 09:56:54 CEST 2015

Lutz Kruschwitz wrote:

> Thank you all for your engagement. But you did not focus on my problem
> so far. The reason may be that I did not properly describe the problem.
> So let me try once again.
>
>  1. I do not have the slightest problem with ï when using it in the body
>     of a "normal" TeX-file.

Nonetheless, your sample input does cause problems even using PdfTeX :

Author = {von Chamisso, Adelbert [urspr\“unglich Louis Charles
Adéla{\"{\i}}de de Chamissot de Boncourt]},

The error lies not in the dotless-i-with-diaresis but with the u-umlaut,
where the wrong character is used in your attempt to insert the umlaut
using \" (you have <backslash><left-double-quote>).  As I know nothing
about "inputenc", LaTeX, BibTeX or Biber, I cannot comment on your more
substantive problem, but I would recommend removing the braces around
"\i" since (a) they cannot be needed, and (b) they may be the source of
the problem.

Philip Taylor
--------
Author = {von Chamisso, Adelbert [urspr\"unglich Louis Charles
Adéla{\"\i}de de Chamissot de Boncourt]},
\end