[tex-live] math.utah.edu down?

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Wed Apr 22 20:03:38 CEST 2015

Some of you noticed that www.math.utah.edu was down for part of Monday.
Here is the explanation:

    There was a scheduled lower-campus-wide electrical outage from 5am
    to 5:30am MST Monday 20-Apr-2015.  Normally, thanks to machine room
    backup power, this should not impact central computer
    services. Unfortunately, this time it did, taking out all power to
    the backup power system, and then the entire machine room.  All
    computers, and network switches, ceased to function.

    When power was restored, we found considerable damage from
    corruption of the central network switch, to several machines that
    would not power on, or it they did, would not reboot. One desktop
    machine (NHFB's) had its video card destroyed, and another lost
    chunks of its memory.  As a result, although we got some services
    restored by late morning, it was not until about 5pm that we got
    all of the machines back up again.

Monday was thus a washout here, sigh...