[tex-live] tlmgr bug?

Lewis Guignard lewisg at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 22 16:56:44 CEST 2015

had the following input/output on Ubuntu 14.04 with new tex live
installation (not the Ubuntu package distro), said to report, so I report!
I'm a noob, so don't really know what this stuff means:

lewis at Robo-Lew-Ubuntu:/usr/bin$ tlmgr update --list

(running on Debian, switching to user mode!)
/usr/bin/tlmgr: Initialization failed (in setup_unix_one):
/usr/bin/tlmgr: could not find a usable xzdec.
/usr/bin/tlmgr: Please install xzdec and try again.
Couldn't set up the necessary programs.
Installation of packages is not supported.
Please report to texlive at tug.org.
tlmgr: exiting unsuccessfully (status 1).

Best,
Lewis B. Guignard III
Stanford University
2016