[tex-live] lineno.sty in humanities repo rather than base for some reason... can it be changed?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Sep 6 23:29:29 CEST 2014

On 2014-09-06 at 13:43:47 +0100, Andy Buckley wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 > I was trying to figure out why CTAN lists the commonly used lineno
 > package as in TeXlive, yet it wasn't available on my Ubuntu texlive base
 > + extras installation. Then I found this blog post:
 >
 > http://shihho.wordpress.com/2013/01/29/latex-lineno/
 >
 > which explains that for some odd reason lineno is considered a
 > "humanities" package. As a scientist, I hadn't seen a need to install
 > texlive-humanities, but can assure you that demand for line numbering
 > isn't restricted to the humanities ;-)
 >
 > As far as I can tell this hasn't yet been reported as a bug, and
 > hopefully isn't just an accidental misassignment or oversight... so:
 >   Could lineno please be moved to the TeXlive base so it'll be
 > automatically available in lots of scientific computing environments
 > that won't have installed the humanities repo?

lineno is mainly used in critical editions, hence the humanities
collection is definitely the right place.

If every package which could be useful would be moved to the base
collection then the concept of collections doesn't make sense any
more.

It's recommended to always install the complete TeX Live system, not
only a subset.  The TeX Live installer at tug.org does it by default.
Though Linux distributors split up TeX Live into several packages too,
I'm sure that most of them provide a pseudo package which allows you
to install the complete system at once.

After all, it's desired that lineno is part of the humanities
collection.  It's definitely not a bug.  One cannot assume that a
particular subset of TeX contains everything one needs, regardless of
how useful a particular package is.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25