[tex-live] lineno.sty in humanities repo rather than base for some reason... can it be changed?

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at cern.ch
Sat Sep 6 18:59:35 CEST 2014

On 06/09/14 17:55, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>> Hi Andy,
>>
>> i don't think you are in the right place here, as the TeX Live
>> team has, as far as i know,  no say in what the different distros
>> put into their repositories.
>>
> tlmgr info shows that lineno really belongs to collection-humanities,
> thus Ubuntu copies the TeX Live.

Indeed -- I would have reported this to Ubuntu/Debian, but I checked the
TeXlive website and did find reference to these collections, so it
seemed to be an "upstream" issue rather than a packaging one. Thanks for
confirming.

>> I haven't seen line numbering in schientific works except for
>> code listings. But almost everybody uses ppackage *listings* for
>> this purpose.
>>
> I do it, not for the filan version but for proof reading. If you want
> to report misprints, it is better to see the line nubers without the
> need of counting them.

Exactly the use-case I have in mind. I work in a large scientific
collaboration with formal internal proof-reading processes, and we need
to use lineno -- but due to the "humanities" classification it is rarely
installed by default in our TeX environments.

> Package listings is needed in programming, not
> in science in general.

Yes, I fully agree.

Thanks again,
Andy

--
Dr Andy Buckley, Royal Society University Research Fellow
Particle Physics Expt Group, University of Glasgow / PH Dept, CERN