[tex-live] xetex and system fonts with cygwin64

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 16:12:26 CET 2014

On 11/14/2014 9:20 AM, David Carlisle wrote:

> Since switching to cygwin64 (windows 8) I don't seem to be able to get
> xetex to find any fonts in the windows font directory.

This is probably a result of a change in Cygwin's fontconfig package:

   https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2014-05/msg00009.html

You could restore the previous behavior by adding a line like the
following to /etc/fonts/fonts.conf in the "Font directory list" section:

   <dir>/path/to/windows/font/directory</dir>

You would then have to run fc-cache on this directory to create the font
cache.

The problem with this is that the Windows font directory can change,
often without your even being aware of it (e.g., as a result of a
Windows update).  The font cache then becomes out of date, and you have
to rerun fc-cache.  The link I pointed to above promised a fix for this,
but it hasn't happened yet.

Ken