[tex-live] TeXLive (Windows) bash script -> exe

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed May 21 05:55:43 CEST 2014

On 2014-05-21 at 11:34:52 +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:

 > > And if you are running your script in an arbitry directory for
 > > testing, (no symlinks or wrappers involved), add the line
 > >
 > >   kpse.set_program_name('texlua')
 > >
 > > to your script and things like
 > >
 > >    require ("alt_getopt")
 > >
 > > will work.
 >
 > Does this also work if symlink and wrappers (like in a typical TL
 > Windows case) are used?

Yes.  The TEXMF trees are searched relative to the location of programs.
No problem if if they are installed properly.

If a program is invoked from an arbitrary directory, how should the
location of the TEXMF trees be determined?  If you add the line

  kpse.set_program_name('texlua')

your script is treated like texlua[.exe] itself by kpathsea.  This
means that TEXMF trees are not searched relative to the location of
the script but relative to the location of the texlua binary.

Symlinks and wrappers are installed in the same directory as
texlua[.exe], hence kpse.set_program_name('texlua') doesn't hurt.

 > > How do you handle character encodings?
 > >
 > >   LOCATION = "Bergheimer Straテoテηクe 110A, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany"
 >
 > My failure ... I was typing in a Japanese environment emacs ;-)))

No, Norbert, it's definitely *not* your failure.

What do you expect to happen with a UTF-8 string on a system which
only supports CP-1252 or any other 8-bit encoding?

The obvious workaround is to make the TUG office the default instead
of the DANTE office in order to avoid the "ß".  :)

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25