[tex-live] xindy vs utf8 latex

Joachim Schrod jschrod at acm.org
Thu May 8 01:24:13 CEST 2014

Zdenek Wagner writes:
> > On 05/06/14 12:14, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
> > >
> > > I am not sure whether all this can be achieved at the expand
> > > processor level where inputenc works but I know that it is already
> > > implemented in encTeX. I use it regularly for Czech specifying "-I
> > > omega" with texindy (because the input markup is now the same as in
> > > omega).
> >
> > Please don't spread the word about using "-I omega" with texindy if
> > you're not really using Omega. If it works for you, fine -- but
> > please don't recommend it.
>
> This is not a result of blind trial and error, I found it by reading and
> examining the code before I tried it.

As I am the person who wrote the omega support, I beg to differ about
your interpretation of my own code that I wrote personally.

-I omega has differences in the way tex2xindy handles transformation
of raw LaTeX index files to raw xindy index files. I had several bug
reports that were caused by the recommendation to use -I omega, which
would have been avoided by the recommendation to use "xindy -M texindy".

As I wrote, maybe it's really best to introduce a new -I option, that
combines the behavior of "-I omega" that inputenc heuristics is shut
off but doesn't trigger tex2xindy's Omega special handling code.

Best,
	Joachim