[tex-live] [pretest] pdfcsplain is bad linked in x86_64-linux

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed May 7 21:03:46 CEST 2014

On 2014-05-07 at 19:27:45 +0200, Petr Olsak wrote:

 > On Wed, 7 May 2014, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
 >
 > > I vaguely remember that the symlinks are created by fmtutil.  If true,
 > > probably the order has to be changed in fmtutil.cnf:
 > >
 > > It currently is:
 > >
 > >  csplain pdftex - -etex -enc csplain-utf8.ini
 > >  pdfcsplain pdftex - -etex -enc csplain-utf8.ini
 > >  pdfcsplain xetex - -etex csplain.ini
 > >  pdfcsplain luatex - -etex csplain.ini
 > >
 > > Could you try
 > >
 > >  csplain pdftex - -etex -enc csplain-utf8.ini
 > >  pdfcsplain xetex - -etex csplain.ini
 > >  pdfcsplain luatex - -etex csplain.ini
 > >  pdfcsplain pdftex - -etex -enc csplain-utf8.ini
 > >
 > > instead?
 >
 > This is probably not true. The tl2013 includes the
 > same text as tl2014 in fmtutil.cnf, i.e.:
 >
 > csplain pdftex - -etex -enc csplain-utf8.ini
 > pdfcsplain pdftex - -etex -enc csplain-utf8.ini
 > pdfcsplain xetex - -etex csplain.ini
 > pdfcsplain luatex - -etex csplain.ini
 >
 > and the symlinks are right (pdfcsplain -> pdftex) in tl2013.

I just checked myself.  Symlinks are not created by fmtutil itself but
by Thomas Esser's texconfig.  When I change fmtutil.cnf as I suggested
and run "texconfig-sys init" I indeed get

  pdfcsplain -> pdftex

However, texconfig is not an option because it's not running on
Windows and doesn't create wrappers for Windows.

BTW, "tlmgr generate fmtutil" restores the original order.

I must admit that I'm not very happy with three (format) files with
the same name in different directories.  Each engine finds the
appropriate format file but it's difficult to maintain symlinks, for
instance.

In general I think that information like this should be in the config
file and the config file should be processed in a deterministic way.
However, since pdfcsplain is the only program which has this problem,
I'm convinced that it's not worth the trouble.  It should be
sufficient to restore the behavior of TL-2013.

IMO it's a pity that fmtutil doesn't maintain the symlinks by itself.
There is no easy way to add such a feature without writing fmtutil
from scratch because we still have two different programs for Unix and
Windows.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25