[tex-live] (x)dvipdfmx and fully embeded fonts in pdftex.map

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Mon Jul 21 09:39:30 CEST 2014

Am Sun, 20 Jul 2014 23:48:31 +0000 schrieb Karl Berry:

> Ulrike,
>
> (1) I don't think any useful conclusions can be reached from running
> xetex without --no-pdf, since it doesn't report why the font loading
> fails.  FWIW, I also see differences between Windows and Unix.

I only wanted to show you some more extended messages. You can also
use
   xetex --output-driver="xdvipdfmx -vv"

> (2) After further testing, I can agree that there is something awry in
> the loading via the map file.  I'm not prepared to try to address that
> myself now, but I reported it for Khaled's consideration here:
> http://sourceforge.net/p/xetex/bugs/97/

Imho the problem is on the xdvipdfmx side.
On the xetex list Akira just wrote too that "In the case of
XeTeX-xdvipdfmx, we cannot use the kind of map file
for OpenType fonts. That is, we cannot load OpenType fonts through
tfm fonts."

> (3) For compatibility if nothing else, I feel that the mathdesign author
> should change the loading of the gfs* fonts.

The problem is the reencoding. If I got it right the map line is for
an OML-encoded font. I don't know an easy way to reencode a font if
you load it directly by font name -- perhaps it can be done with a
teckit-mapping.

> I see no benefit to his current approach.

Well it works with pdftex. I would also try to avoid to write extra
"ifxetex" and "ifluatex" unless it is really necessary.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/