[tex-live] Problems with non-7bit characters in filename

Markus Kohm komascript at gmx.info
Fri Jul 4 11:17:42 CEST 2014

> But the main question is why lualatex and xelatex in TeXLive can't
> handle (probably only non-utf8) file names with non-ascii chars *on
> the terminal*. I can reproduce his problem on Win7:

Here with Linux, LANG=de_DE.utf8 in the terminal and file systems with UTF-8-
encoded names, luatex and xetex can handle such file names:

$ echo '\relax\bye' > Ä.tex
$ luatex Ä.tex
This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.79.1 (TeX Live 2014) (rev 4971)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
(./Ä.tex)
No pages of output.
Transcript written on Ä.log.
$ xetex Ä.tex
This is XeTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-0.99991 (TeX Live 2014) (preloaded
format=xetex)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(./Ä.tex )
No pages of output.
Transcript written on Ä.log.

It also works, if I set LANG=C:

$ LANG=C bash
$ echo $LANG
$ echo '\relax\bye' > Ä.tex
$ luatex Ä.tex
This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.79.1 (TeX Live 2014) (rev 4971)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
(./Ä.tex)
No pages of output.
Transcript written on Ä.log.

Same with xetex.

Nevertheless: In this case, the filename of Ä.tex uses still an UTF-8-Ä on my
system and even the Ä.log has an UTF-8-Ä.

If I force cp1252 file names using `G_FILENAME_ENCODING=@locale,cp1252` it
also works fine. In this case Ä.tex and Ä.log has a cp1252-Ä. I've tested this
also with xetex and luatex.

So I cannot reproduce any problem using a valid Linux setup and TL2014. So
maybe there's a problem with Windows only or a problem with some Linux setups.

And nevertheless: I suggest using us-ascii for file names.

Markus Kohm
--
KOMA-Script, a versatile bundle of classes and packages for LaTeX2e
Current: KOMA-Script 3.13.1766 (see <http://www.komascript.de/current>)