[tex-live] On Windows, install TL for all users by default

Denis Bitouzé dbitouze at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jan 30 08:34:54 CET 2014

Le mercredi 29/01/14 à 14h03,
Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Can an ordinary user without admin rights provide as default anything
> for other users?

That's not what I require. Just that /admin/ users (the only ones who
have rights to install TL) could enable for all users "Custom TeX Live",
as done by w32client.

> Having admin rights for ordinary work is an extremely danerous
> misfeature.

I agree but that's the default on recent Windows for the default user.

> In many organizations Windows PC's are installed and configured by IT
> experts, users are in the "power users" group and do not know the
> admin password.

Reasonable.

> As a campus security computers installed by other way are not allowed
> to connect to the network and are blocked by a firewall. Admin rights
> are assigned only to skilled users who know what they do and who need
> them.

Okay but, AFAIU, that's not incompatible with what I'm asking:

1. on "home" computers, where the default users are admin, installing TL
   would launch w32client (or whatever) that let other users run LaTeX,
2. on "organizations" computers, only admins could install TL and decide
   if other users could run LaTeX (using w32client or whatever).
--
Denis