[tex-live] [tlmgr] Confusing message in case of updates for the tlmgr

Denis Bitouzé dbitouze at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jan 23 11:30:22 CET 2014

Hi,

this mail is about messages displayed by the TeX Live Manager. If I'm on
the wrong list, please let me know.

In case of updates for the tlmgr, the following message is displayed:

  Updates for the tlmgr are present.
  Installation and upgrades won't work without being forced.
  Please select "Update all installed" button after dismissing this
  dialogue.

  The program will terminate after the update.
  Then you can restart the program for further updates.

IMHO, it is a bit confusing, especially for newbies:

1. they probably don't know what is `tlmgr',
2. my English is limited (as you probably noticed ;) so maybe I'm wrong
   but `updates' and `upgrades' look very similar. Hence one can be
   puzzled that `Updates for the tlmgr are present' but `[...] upgrades
   won't work without being forced', above all being asked to `Update
   all installed'.
3. The user is asked to select "Update all installed". Maybe the
   `select' word comes from older tlmgr when (IIRC) some check boxes had
   to be checked. Nowdays "Update all installed" appears as a button so
   probably `click' would be less confusing than `select'.
4. `The program will terminate after the update.': which one?
5. `Then you can restart the program for further updates.': which ones?

Here is a proposal for a less confusing message:

  The TeX Live Manager (TLMGR), the software you're currently running,
  needs to be updated.
  Installation and upgrades of any other TeX materials (packages,
  classes, etc.) won't work until the TLMGR will be updated. For this,
  please click "Update all installed" button after dismissing this
  dialogue.

  The TLMGR will terminate after its update.
  Then you can restart it for normal updates.

What would be even better is that, in case of updates for the tlmgr, its
usual UI change to just display a unique button `Update the TeX Live
Manager'.

Best regards.
--
Denis