[tex-live] No cont-nl.fmt in Tex Live 2013

Peter van Kranenburg peter.van.kranenburg at meertens.knaw.nl
Thu Feb 27 16:50:15 CET 2014

On 2/27/14 4:12 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Peter Van Kranenburg wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> In Tex Live 2013 (mac) I can't compile context documents with Dutch
>> commands:
>>
>> ----test-nl.tex-----
>> \starttekst
>> Dit is tekst.
>> \stoptekst
>> --------------------
>>
>> ----command line----
>> pvk$ texexec test-nl.tex
>> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.5-1.40.14 (TeX Live 2013)
>>   restricted \write18 enabled.
>>
>> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt cont-nl.fmt
>> I can't find the format file `cont-nl.fmt'!
>>
>> pvk$ locate cont-nl.fmt
>> /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-var/web2c/pdftex/cont-nl.fmt
>> --------------------
>>
>> Apparently cont-nl.fmt is needed, but the only file with that name in my
>> file system seems to belong to Tex Live 2011.
>>
>> In Tex Live 2012 everything was OK.
>>
>> Could anyone advise me what to do? How to build cont-nl format? I couldn't
>> find this in the context documentation either.
>
> In principle this should also work:
>      texexec --make nl

This worked. Thanks!

> but that's the way it's implemented in the standalone ConTeXt
> distribution. TeX Live should generate the format automatically.
> Indeed it says "Running mktexfmt cont-nl.fmt", but apparently it fails
> and I didn't try to debug yet. Maybe some code has been rewritten and
> nobody ever tested the disabled formats.
>
> It makes sense not to build the Dutch format by default (it prolongs
> installation time and only serves a very tiny fraction of users), but
> the format is listed in context.tlpsrc
> (/usr/local/texlive/2013/tlpkg/tlpobj/context.tlpobj), so it should
> work on request.
>
> (You can also switch to MKIV, that one will generate the format automatically.)

I see. It does so if I explicitly indicate 'nl' as interface:

$ context --interface=nl test-nl.tex

with texexec the interface was detected automatically.

But I get other errors with my (rather old) project and MKIV. e.g.,
\stelnummeringin is not recognized. So for this project I stick with II,
which runs fine now.

Thanks again,
Peter

--
Peter van Kranenburg, PhD, MSc, MA.

http://www.meertens.knaw.nl/cms/staff/142502-peterk
http://www.lodebar.nl/pvk

Visiting Address:
Meertens Instituut, Room 0.54
Joan Muyskenweg 25; 1096 CJ Amsterdam; Netherlands

Postal Address: Postbus 94264; 1090 GG Amsterdam; Netherlands
Tel: +31 (0)20 4628533