[tex-live] Feature request for TL 2014 (or later): Easier installation of local/experimental packages

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed Feb 12 14:03:08 CET 2014

Am Wed, 12 Feb 2014 21:13:43 +0900 schrieb Norbert Preining:

> Wait, I am thinking about a better way that is easier to do.

> What are the necessary steps?
> * get the package in TDS format. Here we cannot help, although
>   the ctan2tds script might be used?!

That's not really a problem: As I wrote it is quite ok to require
that package has a certain structure. Most development package offer
a tds anyway, and when I write  a package I set up the tree anyway
and only have to zip it.

> * add another directory entry TEXMFPROJECT or so the thexmf tree.
> 	(texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf)
>   that should be done from *our* side.
> * use
> 	tlmgr conf texmf TEXMFPROJECT /my/path/foo/bar
> * if necessary, use updmap-sys (since updmap.cfg files are local
>   you can have /my/path/foo/bar/web2c/updmap.cfg!!!)
> * simply use it
>
> Remove:
> * remove TEXMFPROJECT setting
> 	(not implemented) tlmgr conf texmf TEXMFPROJECT --clear
> * if it was run first, rerun updmap-sys
>
> I think this would quite easy, right?
>
> Ulrike, would this qualify for your solution?

This is more or less what I know do manually: I have a TEXMFUF
variable that I have prepended to the TEXMF-variable.

The main question is with the --clear option:

If I did add two roots or more to TEXMFPROJECT e.g. pgf and
luaotfload, how can I remove only one?

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/