[tex-live] On Windows, install TL for all users by default

Denis Bitouzé dbitouze at wanadoo.fr
Tue Feb 11 09:31:38 CET 2014

Le mardi 11/02/14 à 01h53,
Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> a écrit :

> On 2014-02-10 at 19:21:18 +0100, Denis Bitouzé wrote:
>
>  > You probably spent 5 minutes for reading and answering my email. I
>  > spent about one hour for the administrative requirements needed to
>  > borrow the laptop, install TL and write this email. Please
>  > double-check your claims before claiming I'm wasting time!
>
> It doesn't make much sense here to bargain about minutes or hours.

I fully agree: I don't like conflicts and I prefer working in a good
mood. Rightly or wrongly, I felt like I have been attacked while I just
tried to help to improve TL.

> It's a matter of fact that Siep spent an enourmous amount of time on
> the Windows specific parts of TeX Live since 2007.  Everything is more
> difficult on Windows than on any other platform for several reasons.
> And the fact that each version of Windows is quite different from its
> predecessors causes a lot of extra work.  Furthermore, Siep also makes
> sure that her scripts are not restricted to a particular version of
> Windows, hence even testing is extremely time-consuming.

Okay.

> Thus I think that it doesn't matter how much time she spent to answer
> your mail.  I'm very grateful for everything she did.  Without her we
> probably have network installations and package updates today on all
> systems except Windows.

Okay.

> Denis, I assume that you didn't know all this.

I knew Siep was working on Windows specific parts of TeX Live, maybe
I didn't realize the amount of time this needs.

Nevertheless, I guess most of us spend a lot of time for TeX. I spend
a lot of time on French LaTeX lists and forums, I'm involved in the
French TUG, I organize LaTeX workshops, I give LaTeX courses to about
150 persons a year, I initiate colleagues to LaTeX, I'm working on
a LaTeX class, I give feedbacks on and translate TeXstudio (a LaTeX
editor), I give feedbacks on TeXLive, I give feedbacks on LaTeX packages
to their authors, I (co)wrote a book for LaTeX beginners and
intermediate users, etc.

>  In the future, please let us avoid discussions about who spent how
> much time.

It would be my pleasure...

> As to your subject line:
>
>  > On Windows, install TL for all users by default
>
> Until 2007 the TeX Live installer for Windows supported only
> single-user single-platform installations.  When I suggested to make
> all features we had on Unix at this time available to Windows too,
> someone said "forget about the multi-user stuff, Windows machines are
> _always_ single-user".
>
> I'm glad that Windows users can decide by themselves now. But you see,
> opinions are quite different.  And I fear that there is no way to make
> all Windows users happy by just changing a few default settings.

Okay.

Thanks.

Regards.
--