[tex-live] On Windows, install TL for all users by default

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Mon Feb 10 20:37:45 CET 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 07:21:18PM +0100, Denis Bitouzé wrote:
> Le jeudi 30/01/14 à 21h44,
> Siep Kroonenberg <siepo at cybercomm.nl> a écrit :
>
> > > This would require to reactivate this option that has disappeared
> > > from the advanced installer (since TL 2013 I guess).
> >
> > NO NO NO! The advanced installer warns about this, and has a
> > multiuser option when started with admin rights.
>
> Indeed, the advanced installer has a multiuser option, but only when
> started with admin rights. Sorry for the confusion: I started it
> without admin rights.
>
> > Please double-check your claims before wasting our time!

This was the second time that you complained about this, and I had
answered it the first time.

> "/our/ time"? Did you ask everybody's opinion on this list or are you
> talking on your own behalf?

I just do not want to assume that I am the only one spending time on
your complaints.

> > (Same for wrong claim about double dviout menu entries).
>
> Well, well, well... I borrowed a laptop at my University with Windows
> 7 (in order to run tests maybe more consistent than on my Virtual Box
> running on my Linux box) and I guess any TeX Live had been installed on
> this computer. I installed TL 2013 from the official DVD as
> administrator and everything went well. What I see in the main Windows
> menu? Nothing: just a "DVIOUT DVI viewer" entry. What I see in the TeX
> Live 2013 submenu? Nothing: just a "DVIOUT DVI viewer" entry.
>
> You probably spent 5 minutes for reading and answering my email. I spent
> about one hour for the administrative requirements needed to borrow the
> laptop, install TL and write this email. Please double-check your claims
> before claiming I'm wasting time!

I always check, and that always involves starting up a virtual
machine. That takes me a lot longer than 5 minutes. So far, I have
spent several hours answering your mails.

I do not understand why the TL menu _only_ displays dviout, and I
cannot reproduce it. You may see dviout in the main start menu
because you did not uncheck the option `Store and display recently
opened programs in the Start menu'.

--
Siep Kroonenberg