[tex-live] Recommended way to call tlmgr when TeX Live installed with root permissions

Scott Kostyshak skostysh at lyx.org
Sat Aug 30 05:48:13 CEST 2014

Hi,

Suppose that TeX Live is installed to /opt/texbin and requires root
permissions to call tlmgr to update the installation. What are the
recommended ways to call tlmgr? I see two approaches:

1. call it directly: sudo /opt/texbin/tlmgr (or create an alias)
2. add /opt/texbin to root's PATH.

(2) seems to be the most convenient option but I imagine it's not a
good idea from a security perspective. If this is true, could someone
outline a case where this would lead to a security vulnerability?

Best,

Scott