[tex-live] texlive 2014 Comments. -- Overly complex and difficult to install on RedHat/Fedora !!

Bob Tennent rdt at cs.queensu.ca
Thu Aug 7 23:03:35 CEST 2014

 >|> What one needs on these systems is a "dummy" texlive package
 >|
 >|You are invited to provide something similar for Fedora/RH.

I've already posted a "first draft". But I'm not at all sure
how to make it bullet-proof. One problem is that a user
might install any or all collections/schemes/packages, so
that what a texlive-dummy package Provides might have to
vary accordingly.

It also seems quite difficult to harvest all the necessary
Provides. For example, it seems there is a separate package
for xdvipdfmx in the CentOS-6 distribution, whereas it's in
collection-basic in TeXLive 2014.

As for CentOS-7 or recent Fedoras, the problem seems
completely unmanageable "by hand": there are hundreds or
even thousands of texlive packages.

Bob T.