[tex-live] TL 13 -- how many maintained installations are there?

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Apr 15 15:48:38 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 15 Apr 2014, at 15:29, Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> wrote:

> Norbert Preining wrote:
>
>>> I do not see why this needs to be opt-in.  Why not
>>> have TLMGR (attempt to) update a remote database with
>>> anonymised usage data every time it is invoked ?  Who
>>> could possibly object ?
>>
>> While I would be happy (for my ego) to see the numbers, I object strongly.
>>
>> I despise any software that phones home, out of whatever reasons, if it
>> is not strictly opt-in.
>>
>> I will not support or implement any automatic phone-home mechanism.
>>
>> Norbert
>
> OK, let me re-cast the above :  "Who (apart from Norbert) could
> possibly object ?”.

If you mean that my *local* tlmgr will be attempting to update a *remote*
database when I am trying to run it? Me. Absolutely. I would not mind so
much if tl-net-as-a-service kept track of download statistics, but my local
application actually calling out? No.

What I do on my machine is my business, and my business only.

Best wishes,
Taco