[tex-live] Install TeX Live 20130914 failed

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 17 14:51:19 CEST 2013

Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/9/17 Robin Fairbairns <Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk>:
> > Arthur Reutenauer <arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org> wrote:
> >
> >>   I think Babel Hebrew is hopelessly broken for pdfTeX and other 8-bit
> >> engines.  The fonts it looks for don't seem to be available any more, on
> >> CTAN or elsewhere (I investigated this a few months ago).  Philip,
> >> however, is using XeTeX, and is not even using Babel at all from what I
> >> understand, so his problem is different.
> >
> > there are a few hebrew metafonts on ctan, and (i think) one type 1.  at
> > least one isn't available to tex live, for licence reasons.
> >
> >>   I don't think it makes much sense to try and fix Babel for 8-bit TeX
> >> engines; XeTeX and, to a great extent, LuaTeX, do a great job for Hebrew
> >> and that's what people seem to actually be using.
> >
> > but [xe/lua]tex users are still bitten by the lack of hyphenation
> > patterns, surely?
>
> This page contains information on Hebrew hyphen but does not say that
> the words could be hyphenated at line breaks:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_punctuation#Hyphen_and_maqaf
>
> I do not know any Hebrew speaking person so I cannot find out whether
> Hebrew hyphenates words.

the hebrew tex list (hosted at tau.ac.il) led me to
http://www.math.technion.ac.il/~nyh/pub/hyphen.ps which gives some rules
about hyphenation.

from this i learn (a) that at the time the post
  http://listserv.tau.ac.il/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0011&L=ivritex&P=591
was written, there was no hebrew hyphenation patterns, even among those
whose main language is hebrew.

that hebtex list is a closed one, so (apart from archived posts) there
seems little chance of getting any further.