[tex-live] tlmgr invokes cc on OS X

Maxwell, Adam R adam.maxwell at pnnl.gov
Tue Oct 29 16:38:08 CET 2013

On Oct 29, 2013, at 00:17, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> On Mo, 28 Okt 2013, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>> I can do that, but I'm not sure which one to set; running
>> 'tlmgr platform list' on my machine, I have
>>
>> (i) universal-darwin
>> […]
>> (i) x86_64-darwin
>>
>> Of the two, which would be best?
>
> It only boils down to whether you have tar and xz for one of
> the arch. The architecture is *only* important for selecting
> the right xz (and tar) from the list of shipped ones in
> 	tlpkg/installer/
> If both can be run, it does not change.

At present, universal-darwin can be run on any OS X system,
but x86_64-darwin is guaranteed to work on any system running
10.9, as it requires 64-bit hardware. That is the only case
that matters for this problem, so I can do

if 10.9 and no /usr/bin/clang:
    tlmgr platform set x86_64-darwin

(in pseudocode). I'd just like to know if that breaks anything,
such as the case George White mentioned where a user installs
multiple architectures on a server. It's highly unlikely such
a user would be using my program, of course :).

thanks,
Adam