[tex-live] psutils maintenance

Jay Berkenbilt qjb at debian.org
Thu Oct 24 15:47:58 CEST 2013

Reuben Thomas <rrt at sc3d.org> wrote:

> On 17 December 2012 23:12, Reuben Thomas <rrt at sc3d.org> wrote:
> [stuff about taking over psutils]
>
> Greetings again all of you.
>
> Little has changed since I last wrote: I've been using my 1.20 release of
> psutils; today I actually tagged it in github
>
> https://github.com/rrthomas/psutils
>
> and overhauled psjoin to modernize the Perl slightly, add my name (so the
> original author won't be bothered), and made the use of the version number
> consistent.
>
> I have not heard from Angus. If anyone knows how to contact him, it would
> be great to follow up on his recent-ish offer of donating psutils to the
> FSF and relicensing it under the GPL.
>
> It would be nice to move forwards; specifically, at least get 1.20 into
> Debian and CTAN (and hence TeXLive), if there are no objections, of course.
>
> I'm also happy to hear from any potential maintainers; while psutils seems
> to be low-traffic enough that I'm happy to curate it, my work on it was
> intended as a one-off, and I'd be happy to hand it to anyone with a greater
> interest.
>
> So: maintainers, please let me know if there are any problems packaging it,
> or if you have any patches for me to add, and let's get it out there!

I remember having expressed a few concerns in previous email.  Did you
address them?  I'd have to go digging since I don't remember exactly
what they were.  My main concern would be in making changes overly
non-backward compatible and in not creating a lot of work from the
maintainer perspective.  Anyway, I just wanted to let you know I had
seen this and would consider it the next time I have a chance to look at
psutils.  Just be aware that it may be a while before I do as my time
for this is very limited these days.  I would actually be happy to find
a new debian maintainer for psutils, though the package is very low
effort to maintain since there's not much active work on it.

Thanks for your efforts.  I won't forget about this, and I'll get back
to you eventually when I have time to do something with it.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <qjb at debian.org>