[tex-live] Where is the root dir of my Tex Live installation

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sat Nov 16 14:33:33 CET 2013

Hi Gerald,

On Sa, 16 Nov 2013, Gerald Pechoc wrote:
> And what is that dummy package good for?
> Does it mean that my packager manager knows in future to look for
> updates, for example?

I am speaking as the maintainer of both TeX Live infra structure (i.e., tlmgr)
and the Debian packages.

Why don't you install the TeX Live packages *directly* from Debian???

It seems that your needs are covered fully with the packages in Debian.

Only those in need for the absolutely newest thing because they are writing
themselves new packages should need to install TeX Live form TUG on Debian.

If you are using Debian/testing or Debian/unstable, you have monthly
updates to the current status of TeX Live, and are quite up-to-date.
Andeven when you use Debian/stable you have TeX Live 2012 which in
99.99% covers your needs.

So why do you throw yourself into all this problems without even knowing
how to deal with simple Unix items?

My recommendation:
	apt-get install texlive-full
and then use it for 2 years. If you find something that is not sufficient,
you can *then* install TeX Live form TUG and at that time you will
know what is necessary.

Norbert
(hopefully my last and only comment on this thread)